Monday, July 6, 2009

Felonious Jazz, A Novel

A colleague’s husband had the gumption to come into the office and hawk his self-published novel. I respect that and so read the book. It’s called Felonious Jazz.

My gut reaction is that it reminds me of The Da Vinci Code in pace and tone. It sticks to the murder mystery genre with the plot being driven by the dark mind of the villain. The mood is conspiratorial. A dashing detective is in pursuit. Can he match the mind of the criminal before another innocent woman is savaged?

A superficial comparison of Felonious Jazz and Da Vinci Code would put the two worlds apart – the suburban culture of north Raleigh, N.C. and the ecclesial intrigues of Europe. But, besides the tone, the quick, page-turning scenes seem similar to me. I am reminded of the advice of radio producer Ira Glass to close out a scene every 30-45 seconds with a flourish that will carry a listener forward. Bryan does that, well, in Felonious Jazz. With my brother-in-law visiting, I snuck off to find out if Jeff Swain would catch up to Leonard Noblac before baby Jacob was harmed….

No comments:

Post a Comment