Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Spanking

My wife and I recently went to a parenting seminar, at which spanking was condoned but not emphasized. Neither of us have a philosophical objection against it, but neither do we have an inclination towards it. So, I asked a friend attending the seminar, who has children older than ours, whether he spanks them. He said he once spanked his son. The boy started crying and said, “Daddy, why are you hitting me?” My friend started crying too and replied, “I don’t know.” He stopped spanking his son and hugged him. That was the end of spanking for him.

I have s sense that’s how it would go for me too. I know the Bible says it’s not good for children to spare them the rod; however, I think Christians have to ask the question, Who would Jesus spank? He’s quite gentle with children and doesn’t even smack the Pharisees who obviously infuriate him. Going strictly by Jesus’ example, it seems the worst physical punishment you can mete out on your child – if he’s really doing something notorious – is to overturn his coloring table.

No comments:

Post a Comment